Memorials & Honorariums
The Mary Lou Johnson-Hardin County District Library is grateful for gifts, and the library has been enriched by many generous contributions over the years. Gifts to the library support us in our commitment to provide excellent library services, resources, and facilities to our community.
We welcome and strive to honor the requests of individuals wishing to give memorials to the library that are consistent with the library's Collection Development Policy.
Memorial books pay tribute to a departed loved one, or express sympathy to those who have lost a loved one.
Gift books may also mark a friend or loved one's birthday or anniversary, pay tribute to a person who is retiring or graduating, or serve as a thank you to someone special. Examples are teachers, babysitters, perhaps someone who gave a program for your group, or someone that went above or beyond.
When making a memorial request, it's important to have the following information so that we may process the request correctly:
- The correct spelling of the person in whom the book is being placed.
- The name and address of a family member, or person that we can send a card to, notifying them of the gift. (In most cases, only one person is notified.) – An additional $.50 per additional notification is requested.
- You may ask that we choose the book to be donated, or you may suggest a certain subject area. We do not guarantee that books on a certain subject area can be obtained but will try our best to honor your suggestions
Recommended Areas of Purchase
Bestsellers, fiction, children's fiction & non-fiction, large print books, DVD's & CD's.
- Adult books: $20.00 & up
- Children's book: $15.00 & up
- Large Print book: $30.00 & up
- Average price of DVD/CD: $20.00 & up
Withdrawal of Gifts
Please recognize that library materials do not last indefinitely, or at some point in time may no longer be useful to the library.
The library reserves the right to withdraw gift items under the same criteria that applies to all library materials.
The library does not accept responsibility for notifying donors of withdrawals or replacement of gift items.
In creating a book endowment in memory or honor of a loved one or someone special in your life, you are truly giving a gift that keeps on giving.
For a donation of $100.00 or more, a new book or library material is provided to the library every year.
A bookplate is placed inside the front of the book, showing the name of the person being honored or memorialized and the donor's name(s).
A gift of an endowment establishes a named fund that is invested. Only the interest from the fund is spent. Gifts can be added to an endowment at any time.
Other Ways You Can Help Your Library
- A cash gift
- Donating stocks, bonds and other assets
- Naming Mary Lou Johnson-Hardin County District Library as a beneficiary to your will
Questions? Contact Us
If you have any questions concerning endowments, memorials or honorariums, please contact the library.